Random number pattern?

slpctrl

Is it possible to, using PHP, take an array of 3 or 4 digit numbers, and find some sort of real pattern in the numbers? I've been working on trying to get something semi reliable in finding a pattern in random 3 or 4 digit numbers, but can't seem to really get anything that seems remotely like any pattern. Any help would be appreciated.

I've been working on trying to get something semi reliable in finding a pattern in random 3 or 4 digit numbers

Surely, by definition, random numbers have no pattern? Im not sure what you're asking us to help you do. Perhaps if you provide some examples we might be able to help a bit more.

You could also say that all random numbers have a pattern, if you allow arbitrarily complex patterns.  For example, the pattern for 364,255,927,584 could be "364,255,927,584".  So what counts as a pattern needs to be defined.

For example, you may be looking for patterns where the numbers increase according to some simple rule (as in cooldude's example).

By definition they wouldn't but computer generated random numbers sure do.

I've been working on trying to get something semi reliable in finding a pattern in random 3 or 4 digit numbers

Surely, by definition, random numbers have no pattern? Im not sure what you're asking us to help you do. Perhaps if you provide some examples we might be able to help a bit more.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.