Making a Dynamic <select>

2tonejoe

I am currently using the Chained Menu from dynamic drive http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/chainedmenu/index.htm and I am running a python script via cron to generate the required config.js file. It works, except when I go to pass the selected item to the form processor on the next page using php. I get nothing. Rather than trying troubleshoot the defunct javascript I was wondering if I could generate the same type of thing with php and pass the "value="'s off to another script.

Essentially I have a mysql table with records like:

Name(str)       Group(str)       SubGroup1(str)       SubGroup2(str)       Members(int)

The SubGroup's go up to 10, but i think you guys get the idea. I would like to have four html <selects> populated with the above data from the database. How can I do this?? Also, the Members field is a number 0-4 and I would like to populate that last <select> with x amount of options 1-x...

This is what I do, I'm sure you can modify for your needs

$query3 = "SELECT * FROM users_referral WHERE `active` = 1";
$result3 = mysql_query($query3) or die ("Error in query: $query3. " . mysql_error());
if (mysql_num_rows ($result3) > 0){
	while ($row3 = mysql_fetch_object ($result3)) {
	?>
	<option value=<?php echo $row3->id; ?>><?php echo $row3->name; ?></option>
	<?php
	$referralarray[$row3->id]=$row3->name;
	}
}
else {
?>
	<option value="None">None</option>
	<?php
	$came_from = "Not Available";
}				
?>
              </select>

My users_referral table holds something like:

id    name    active

1    Google    1

2    Yahoo    1

So what I do is query this table, load them up in an Object so my $row array points to each column.

I then populate the options for every entry in my table.

If there are no choices, I return the Not Available so at least it wont error out or be blank if the DB is down.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.