OOP or standard PHP

themistral

Hi,

I am not really familiar with OOP programming and was wondering how it differs from standard PHP.

My understanding is that the only difference is that OOP uses classes...is that correct?

And what are the any advantages of using OOP over standard PHP?

Is it processed quicker by the server?

OOP has a lot of advantages. Procedural code is written more quickly and processes quicker, but OOP is much more organized, maintainable, and easy to extend on. You can also reuse classes with very little to no editing. So if your coding something that you know you can reuse over and over in the future, it would definitely be worth using OOP for it.

Thanks pocobueno1388!

I already use functions for bits of code I use over and over again so I guess using a class takes me one stage further as it looks like you group various functions to get all the information you need rather than running a few separate functions.

It makes sense!

Do people treat you as a more serious coder if using OOP techniques?

OK thanks!

I've used osCommerce and phpBB which both use OOP but never started any OOP from scratch - out of curiosity, is there a good beginners tutorial you know of - I know I can search google and I will - but if there is a particular one you would recommend, then I'd appreciate it!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.