Listen

jaymc

I have a livechat system, when someone sends a livechat request, a 2 minute ajax refresher on the other persons page checks the database for livechat requests

So, they could actually receive the request withing 3 seconds, but, the maximum will be 2 minutes based on the current interval between refreshes

My question is, can it be done kind of the way instant messager programs work

When you type a message its sent and recieved instantly. Not sure how it works but the there is obviously some kind of listener, thats open waiting for messages, rather than having to check a master database of messages sent

Kind of like how a telephone works, when you ring it it doesnt need to check for people calling every second.. When someone rings it just connects

Hope you can understand all that babble

Any ideas? May even need to be an applet, know nothing about that but if thats the only way I will research it

• 3 weeks later...

I have been looking into this and dont seem to be getting much information

Its not something widely used. I guess people go for IRC based chat

I have heard flash has some kind of socket support, but I cant have the chat based on flash. has to be HMTL output

Heard you can just ues the flash socket, not sure if I can tie it in to spit out the HMTL for the chat messages etc

Can anyone help a little more with this..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.