[SOLVED] Update/Edit Database using checkbox

Ell20

Hi,

I have a simple checkbox for the user to say whether or not their club has a pavilion. Once this has been stored I would like the page to check the database to see whether or not the checkbox should be checked.

I tried

<input type="checkbox" name="pavilion" value="<?=$pavilion?>" />

But this didnt work, is there anyway I can store a simple "Yes" to the database once ticked and then make the box ticked each time the user views the page?

Thanks

It would be something like this

<?php

if (isset($_POST['submit'])){

//check if they checked that they have a pavilion
   if (isset($_POST['pavilion'])){

//update the database with "yes"
      $query = mysql_query("UPDATE table SET pavilion='yes' WHERE pavilion='{$_POST['pavilion']}'")or die(mysql_error());
   }

}

//check the databse to figure out if the field should be checked
$query = mysql_query("SELECT pavilion FROM table WHERE pavilion='$pavilion'")or die(mysql_error());
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($query);

if ($row['pavilion'] == 'yes') $checked = "checked='yes'";
else $checked = "";

?>

<form method="post">
   <input type="checkbox" name="pavilion" value="<?=$pavilion?>" <?=$checked?>/><br>
   <input type="submit" name="submit">
</form>

Just edit the database information and see if it works for you.

I have managed to do it for all 10 now and it works at first however, if for some reason any of the checkboxes need to be unticked then submitted again the check box is not updating and stays checked regardless?

Thanks

Makes sense since here

//check if they checked that they have a pavilion

//update the database with "yes"
      $query = mysql_query("UPDATE table SET pavilion='yes' WHERE pavilion='{$_POST['pavilion']}'")or die(mysql_error());
   }

is checking if its set, if its not set (unchecked), the update query gets skipped.  Put an else in there to set it to "No" if its not set.

Like this:

if (isset($_POST['submit3'])){

$query = mysql_query("UPDATE club SET pavilion='yes' WHERE pavilion='{$_POST['pavilion']}' AND club_id='$id'")or die(mysql_error());
   } else {
   	  $query = mysql_query("UPDATE club SET pavilion='no' WHERE pavilion='{$_POST['pavilion']}' AND club_id='$id'")or die(mysql_error());
   }
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.