using superglobals...

mkosmosports

Hello,

Im wondering about the usage of superglobals. Ive noticed a lot of tutorials tend to always put the superglobals variable into another variable. Ex. $testvar = $_POST['testvar'];

If youre not planning to manipulate its value, wouldnt it make more sense (and potentially faster because you dont need to define another variable) to always just refer to $_POST['testvar']?

Or are there some possible issues in doing this?

Im hoping someone could clear this up for me.

Thanks!

mkosmosports

In my opinion; I think it's faster when it comes to "integrating" your super globals in your code; to declare a variable and put the super global in it. I just think it's easier to type "$variable" multiple times; then to type $_POST['testvar'] multiple times. But I guess you could always "copy/paste" either one and it would be just as fast.;D

Also, don't you want to check the $_POSTed data to make sure it's valid and sanitized?  Would be easier to do that with a shorter version right?

Yes, you could always do

$_POST['data'] = trim (mysql_real_escape_string ($_POST['data']));

but wouldn't

$data = be easier?

as far as language construct concerns there are no issues doing this, the only issues there are are the person who is coding it, his motives/decisions

although I have noticed this bug before in using naming $_POST variables

you can't say $_POST['text.moretext'] in PHP 4 I think, last time I checked

it changes that into 'text_moretext' , and replaces the dot

Thanks for your input everyone.

I agree with your example revraz, but what about cases where your not manipulating the values, or the values are not user-inputted, like when using the $_SERVER or $_SESSION superglobals (I shouldnt of used the $_POST example in my intial post)?

In those cases, does it really just boil down to preference and coding styles? (rab, it looks like you agree with that)

I did read that as well regarding the $_POST superglobal dsaba. (it replaces all dots with underscores)

Thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.