Connect to MSSQL on a Windows 2003 server from a Linux Server

jtaitt

Hi all,

I am relatively new to Php and Linux.  I am trying to build an e-commerce application but have run into a wall.  The supplier (dropshipper)  where I get my products has MS Sql on a Windows 2003 box.  I need to be able to connect to it from a Linux server where I'm running PHP.  I have looked all over and no one seems to have a solution.  The closest I have gotten is to use ODBC.  As far as I know there isn't a distro which has an ODBC driver on Linux especially for MSSql. I foumd a company called EasySoft that have some drivers but want $1100.00 for them, way over my head and budget. 

Does anyone know how to pull this off or could point me in the right direction where to start ? The other issue is will the company I get to host my site allow me to install whatever software I need to use ?

Thanks to any and all for your help...

Jim Taitt (Desperate)!

In my dealings, mssql modules are loaded into windows distros only.  You would have to have a windows server to run mssql connectors.  I have noticed the latest php installers come with modules for mssql.  You might try using the latest php installer for linux and seeing if that has a connector you can specify during install.  I'm not sure about the linux installer since most of my clients are running windows and don't let me setup linux.  If you don't find the mssql module in the linux installer, chances are slim at finding a mssql connector for free.

My next suggestion then is to find a hosting company that hosts php on windows.  Not what I want to recommend, but if you have to interface with mssql, that might be the only route.

If you're going with a hosted server, chances are the hosting company won't install squat for you.  The only software you'll be able to run is PHP based that installs by copying php files to the server folders you have access to.  For example: openads can be installed by copying the files and directory structure to the hosted web server through ftp.  If openads was an installer based install, no way would the hosting company install the program.  Safe thing to do is ask before you buy.  I've seen a lot of posts on several boards saying hosting companies are happy to upgrade php, mysql, and do minor configuration changes to fit you needs.  I have yet to see that with dozens for hosting companies.  You fit the hosting company's capabilities, they don't fit to your needs.

This is all from what I've experienced so far.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.