Flash Overlay Issue

JustinMs66@hotmail.com

I am creating a web page, and it includes a dropdown menu as well as a flash object that scrolls through pictures. now the flash object is directly under the menu and when i use the menu, the items that drop down appear behind the flash object, which cannot work for this.

so i did a bit of research and found that adding wmode="transparent" made it work. and i added it, and yes, the menu items now go over the flash object.

However, when the wmode is set to transparent, the flash object lags ALOT. and it is difficult to explain, but what i mean by that is that is the actionscript (AS3) runs atleast twice as slow, and screws up the scrolling process a large ammount.

Now this bug is only for Internet Explorer. when i use this for firefox, it works perfectly. i have tried styles with z-index, i have tried dynamically writing the flash object with javascript as well as embedding it with html in a variety of ways with no success.

Can someone please help me in figuring out how to get a div html element to go over an embedded flash object in internet explorer without the flash object lagging?

The only way to get html elements to show on top of flash is to set wmode to transparent or opaque.  There is no other means to accomplish this.

For a more technical look at the reasons why visit http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_15523

Edit:  I forgot to mention that this technique does NOT work in Linux.  There is no work around currently for Linux, you're flash will always show on top of any elements.  A bug report has already been filed with both FireFox and Adobe.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.