Question about logical operators

Jiokah

Good suggestions, but I think they over-complicate things a bit more. I was hoping to solve this within a single expression, ie "If variable equals 3 or 6, return true" instead of "If variable equals 3 or variable equals 6, return true".

I thought of this example:

if ($someVariable == (5 || 6)) {//Do Something}

...but both 5 and 6 are true, therefore the expression would always return true.

The actual expression I'm hoping to simplify is the following:

(strlen($someNumber) > 16 || strlen($someNumber) < 6) //Returns true or false

if ($someVariable == (5 || 6)) {//Do Something}

If you look at how it parses this, (5 || 6) is checked first. Is 5 (true) || 6(true)? Yep! Then it will check if $someVariable is true, since that is what was returned inside the parenthesis. The reason this happens is because the logical operators are comparing two conditions and the only way to have the conditions varry is by using the comparison operators.

In short, you can't. If all you are trying to do is reduce the number of times you are calling the strlen function, just use:

$someNumberLen = strlen($someNumber);
($someNumberLen > 16 || $someNumberLen < 6) //Returns true or false

Good luck!

I knew (5 || 6) would return true regardless, as I explained in my previous post, I had simply included that example to give people a better understanding of what I'm getting at.

I think your right lemmin, it doesn't look possible. Oh well. I don't really NEED to do this per se, but I think it'd just make my code look neater.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.