Trying to create a pop-up upon exit

jwwceo

I should probably get some sort of rookie hazing for this question, but here goes.  I'm trying to create an exit-survey upon leaving my site -- a pop-up that appears when someone leaves.  I've looked on the net for a tutorial, but so far no luck.  Any ideas?

Thanks guru, I had seen that one before, but I was looking for one that opened only when you left the site - as opposed to just leaving the page where the script is. (They may surf to another internal page - at that point I don't want the script to run)  Has anyone seen anything out there for that?

Oh yes .. you're right.  There's a way to do it though:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/1268.htm

I have seen this implemented by a domain parking company.  You can see a sample of how it works at http://www.checkorderexpress.com  (you must look in the frames, the main page is just a frame set).

The variable that controls it is doPop, and it is set to 0 by all internal links.  Then the onunload action checks that variable each time.  If it wasn't set to 0 (indicating internal link), then the popup is popped.

This may be a problem if someone has multiple windows of your site open and closes one of them.  I don't know how to deal with that situation.

Thanks btherl,

that looks like exactly what I'm trying for... cant seem to get this silly onUnload function to work:

<body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" background="/images/background.gif" onUnload="Open4('/stitching.php')">

... i hate onunload

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.