[SOLVED] who's online script help

Goose87

Hi,

A friend of mine gave me the following:

SELECT `username` FROM `users` WHERE `updated` >= DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 3 MINUTE) ORDER BY `id` ASC"

Ive added an "updated" field to the database in the users table, and ive put it as a Datetime (20) field.  I have also put on the page to update the database and set the updated field to "NOW()" every time the user loads a new page on my site, but it doesnt seem to work.

Any ideas?

Well its not my script :) i dont really understand how it works! My friend just sent me this part in a message on my game:

echo "<h1>Online List</h1>";

$array = array(); 
$query = mysql_query("SELECT `username` FROM `a_users` WHERE `updated` >= DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 3 MINUTE) ORDER BY `user_id` ASC"); 
while ($result = mysql_fetch_array($query)) {
$array[] = "{$result["username"]}";
} 
echo implode(", ", $array)."n"; 

Sorry i forgot to post the rest of it in the first message :) i thought i had! but then realised i only posted the query! My bad

try

echo "<h1>Online List</h1>";

$array = array(); 
$query = mysql_query("SELECT `username` FROM `a_users` WHERE `updated` >= DATE_SUB(NOW(), INTERVAL 3 MINUTE) ORDER BY `user_id` ASC") or die(mysql_error()); 
while ($result = mysql_fetch_array($query)) {
$array[] = "{$result["username"]}";
} 
echo implode(", ", $array)."n"; 

<?php

function online_users($period = 300 /* seconds */) 
{ 
    $query = "DELETE FROM `online_users` WHERE `updated` < '".(($now = time()) - $period)."'"; 
    $result = mysql_query($query) or die ($query.' -- '.mysql_error()); 
    $query = "INSERT INTO `online_users` (`ip`, `updated`, `user`) ". 
             "VALUES ('".$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']."', '".$now."', '".(isset($_COOKIE['user'])?1:0)."')". 
             "ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `updated`='$now', `user` = '".(isset($_COOKIE['user'])?1:0)."'"; 
    mysql_query($query) or die ($query.' -- '.mysql_error()); 
    $query = "SELECT * FROM `online_users`"; 
    $return = array('users' => 0, 'guests' => 0); 
    if(mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) 
    { 
        while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) 
        { 
            if($row['user'] == 1) 
            { 
                $return['users']++; 
            } 
            else 
            { 
                $return['guests']++; 
            } 
        } 
    } 
    return $return;     
} 

?> 

<?php 

# in use 
$online = online_users(); 
$s['users'] = ($online['users'] != 1) ? 's' : NULL; 
$s['guests'] = ($online['guests'] != 1) ? 's' : NULL; 

#print results 
echo 
$online['guests'].$s['guests'];

?> 

Thats my script i got a long time ago, just fetch all the id's from the online table in your database, and echo the usernames.

Make sure you change the $_COOKIE's to $_SESSION, depending on what you are using.

ONLINE USER TABLE

- id int(11) UNSIGNED AUTO_INCREMENT,

- ip varchar(225) not null,

- user varhchar(225) not null

- updated TIMESTAMP

Ah ok, I will try and fiddle to make that work on mine.  You code in a VERY different way to me. :) definately makes it shorter, but its a lot more complicated to read :)

Thanks for the reply, Ill try it now :)

James.

hey, make sure you create the table i just posted in my post. I added some more information.

aah ok, glad you mentioned the change cookie to session part :) i always use sessions, so that makes it more clear :) im trying to work out exactly how your coding works and how i would code it differently.  thanks for the extra info :)

:D.

Keep in mind if you read it slowly, its really easy to comprehend, don't be fooled by the size of a php script. Same thing with math/science, they go through massive amount of writting work, just to come up with an easy answer.

Read it line by line.

If you don't understand, i will explain it. Just tell me if the script worked.

Here i shortened the script for you, and you need to put this script on every page.

<?php
$period = 30; // USERS ONLINE FOR THE PAST 30 SECONDS//
$ip       = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; // GUESTS ONLINE
$user    = (isset($_SESSION['user'])) ? 1 : 0;

$query = "DELETE FROM `online_users` WHERE `updated` < '".(($now = time()) - $period)."'"; 

"VALUES ('".$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']."', '".$now."', '".$user."')". 
             "ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `updated`='$now', `user` = '".$user."'"; 

?>

make sure isset($_SESSION['user']) is the right $_SESSION.

tell me if this inserts the data into the database.

To select the users online

<?php

while($row = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM online_users"))){

$user = mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query("SELECT * FROM user WHERE username = '$row[username']"));

echo $user[username] . "<br>";

} 

?>

Ok its all working except the timestamp field.  I managed to fiddle with the $_SESSION['user'] part, at first i thought it was meant to be the username, but then i realised what you were trying to do with it, so i sorted it out :)

It doesnt work at the moment, because whoever freshes any page on my site, deletes the last person who did it, thus, it always shows one person online :) I dunno why the the $now part isnt working with the db, it makes sense.. oh wait! 1min i will change it to erm.. int(20), because you're using the time() variable, and thats what i always store that as :)

Ok its all working except the timestamp field.  I managed to fiddle with the $_SESSION['user'] part, at first i thought it was meant to be the username, but then i realised what you were trying to do with it, so i sorted it out :)

It doesnt work at the moment, because whoever freshes any page on my site, deletes the last person who did it, thus, it always shows one person online :) I dunno why the the $now part isnt working with the db, it makes sense.. oh wait! 1min i will change it to erm.. int(20), because you're using the time() variable, and thats what i always store that as :)

I made a big MISTAKE

try

<?php
$period = 30; // USERS ONLINE FOR THE PAST 30 SECONDS//
$user    = $_SESSION['user'];

"VALUES ('".$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']."', '".$now."', '".$user."')". 
             "ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `updated`='$now', `user` = '".$user."'"; 

?>

Make you edit the $_SESSION['user'] to your own.

I dont see the big error you made? it looks exactly the same..

At the moment I have:

<?php $period = 30; // USERS ONLINE FOR THE PAST 30 SECONDS//

"VALUES ('".$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']."', '".$now."', '".$user_id."')". 
             "ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE `updated`='$now', `user` = '".$user_id."'"; 

?>

$user_id is my $_SESSION['user']; just defined as a variable.

It seems to work at the moment.  I had to make the field "user" in the table unique though, otherwise it duplicated results, and i also had to change the field updated to int(20) so that it stored the 11 digit number for time()-$period.

That seem right to you? or have i made a mistake? :)

Ive never managed to get the TIMESTAMP feature to work with anything when Ive been using time().  Ive always had to use INT, and then i just do a little bit of maths on it to make it into minutes if its > 60 seconds.

I have got a little list working out quite nicely now showing the username, and the time since their last action :)

Does that mean its working? Or have i bodged it together and you can see some mistakes? 

The other thing, I havent got the number of users online part working, just the one displaying the usernames and time since action.  Does that matter?

you can use mysql_num_rows for the number of rows in the online_users table, then just echo it.

<?php

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM online_users");
$num_of_online = mysql_num_rows($query);

echo "There is <strong>" . $num_of_online . "</strong> online";

?>

Mark the topic solved once this works please. :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.