Mouse Pointer Change on Alert

RealDrift

Hi,

i have seen a website use this feature. basically the mouse pointer changes to a different one if the user has  a new message in their inbox. Once the message is read the mouse pointer goes back to the original one.

i run a website which has a members section in which they can message each other. This feature is kinda good to have.

any help appreciated.

thanks

your going to have to create a css class/id for a cursor style.

your going to have to check your database with server side language.

you really do not need javascript for this; unless you are trying to automatic update the cursor style when a new message comes in; without page reload. if your wanting to do that - you will have to use a JavaScript method commonly called AJAX.

I do not know of a specific tutorial to tell you how to do this - google it - that's a start.

CSS Cursor Property

You will have to learn some server side language coding skills; I suggest PHP and MySQL; so that you can:

1.) Create a database.

2.) Create a user login (if this is going to be for multiple users/members to use)

3.) Create a PHP/MySQL script that will check your member database row or table; too see if they have a new message.

4.) Then change your cursor style based upon you database results.

This is no easy task to accomplish for a beginner of PHP/MySQL and CSS; you need to start trying to learn some PHP/MySQL and CSS coding skills and then go from there. You have to have some prior knowledge of both languages to do what your wanting to do. You may be able to find a message system that has already been built, that you can use; that is similar to what your wanting to do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.