A little query help?

Switch0r

Hey peeps, I just want to know if something is possible, particularly as I don't really know how to implement what I want...

Right, so I've got a table that i want to get pairs of unique records from 4 separate columns (its for 2 sets of peoples first & last names), named first1, last1, first2, last2. I want to be able to select unique variations of first & last for both, and then get a unique set of records covering both people.

I hope this makes sense :)

I'll give an example...

First/Last 1 we have: Jeff Beck, Jeff Buckley, Jeff Daniels

First/Last 2 we have: James Dean, Jeff Daniels, Paul Daniels

From the query I want 1 set of records to be: Jeff Beck, Jeff Buckley, Jeff Daniels, Paul Daniels, James Dean

Bearing in mind that the first/last names are in different columns of the table.

Any thoughts? Some kind of JOIN maybe (I've never used one before...)?

With that structure I'd do it like this

<?php

$sql = "SELECT CONCAT(first1, ' ', last1) as name1, CONCAT(first2, ' ', last2) as name2
        FROM tablename";
$res = mysql_query($sql);

$names = array();
while (list($n1, $n2) = mysql_fetch_row($res))
{
    $names[] = $n1;
    $names[] = $n2;
}

$names = array_unique($names);
?>

or you could try (untested)

SELECT DISTINCT x.name FROM
(SELECT CONCAT(first1, ' ', last1) as name FROM tablename
    UNION
    SELECT CONCAT(first2, ' ', last2) as name FROM tablename) as x
ORDER BY x.name

Thanks for that!

I've gone with the UNION option (so I can keep the values of first1/last1 etc separate), although now I can't get the sorting I want to work.

My query is now this:

(SELECT last1, first1 FROM table WHERE last1 LIKE '$operator' ORDER BY last1) UNION (SELECT last2, first2 FROM table WHERE last2 LIKE '$operator' ORDER BY last2)

This gets all the data I need for my list, although I want to sort all the items together, not just have last1 a-z then last2 a-z, I want (last1 & 2) a-z.

I'm thinking of some kind of temporary table situation (which I read about optimizing in the mysql docs, but not actually how to go about it...). Any thoughts?

I'm running MySQL 5.0.41, so that shouldn't be a problem should it?

With the query in my prev post running i get this response:

H

Mike Hodges

Charles Herman-Wurmfeld

Brian Helgeland

Stephen Herek

Amy Heckerling

John Hamburg

Guy Hamilton

Albert Hughes

Jared Hess

Walter Hill

Curtis Hanson

Renny Harlin

Allen Hughes

(It's a list of film directors in case you were wondering :))

The list should be sorted by the last name of all items going a-z, but it's not

What I was thinking, other than changing the query to do it for me, was either making a temp table and populating it with the results, then querying that table to get a properly sorted list, or populating an array with all the stuff and sorting that somehow...

That works like a charm! Is there any way to still select first1, last1, first2, & last2 all as separate items though?

If not could I use the concatenated name to then make another search?

ie. SELECT * WHERE CONCAT(first1, ' ', last1) = $fullname OR CONCAT(first2, ' ', last2) = $fullname;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.