Display 1st Character

Dysan

"[]" is deprecated in favour of "{}" when pulling a character from a string.

$first = $str{0};

You got it the other way around Barand... From strings:

Characters within strings may be accessed and modified by specifying the zero-based offset of the desired character after the string using square array-brackets like $str[42] so think of a string as an array of characters.

Note: They may also be accessed using braces like $str{42} for the same purpose. However, using square array-brackets is preferred because the {braces} style is deprecated as of PHP 6.

Orio.

I know, I just checked the online manual.

In my .chm version of the manual which I download

Characters within strings may be accessed and modified by specifying the zero-based offset of the desired character after the string in curly braces.

????: For backwards compatibility, you can still use array-brackets for the same purpose. However, this syntax is deprecated as of PHP 4.

Wish they'd make up their mind !

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.