XAMPP and Vista

alin

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I hope this question is not unrelated .

I have been using Apache+PHP5+MySql which I installed via XAMMP1.4 long time ago under WinXP. I have had no problem so far with either of them.

Now I am planning to buy a new computer that can have either Vista or XP pre-installed. Checking the internet I see there are some issues with Vista and Apache out there.

I am having quite difficulty deciding which way to go. Am I asking for headache with Vista and Apache together? What have been your experience? Should I get the Vista or stick to XP?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

???

Thanks for response.

So by just turning off UAC it worked?  Thad's great. I don't get what is with people's problems. Some have to release port 80. Others had to make a separate rule for port 80 in their router. Be honest, if I have to do that, I don't know how.

Thanks for response.

So by just turning off UAC it worked?  Thad's great. I don't get what is with people's problems. Some have to release port 80. Others had to make a separate rule for port 80 in their router. Be honest, if I have to do that, I don't know how.

UAC is the cause for most crying about Vista.

Honestly, it's a great OS. UAC is only there to keep idiots from screwing their computer through viruses/spyware.

Releasing port 80 would probably be caused by having another webserver running (ISS maybe), so it's their own fault on that one.

Forwarding ports is what you have to do for most internet facing programs (Any sort of server, bittorrent, games, etc. Use portforward.com for walkthroughs on how to do it with just about every hardware/software out there..) so that's not a Vista only problem.

All I had to do was change to port 8080 because my ISP blocks port 80.

But yeah, it works fine. I don't know how it runs with UAC on, but I would imagine it runs fine if you don't put it in Program Files otherwise you might run into problems.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.