[SOLVED] PHP/MySQL Data retrieval in Tables (Generating an URL)

Malevolence

Hi There,

First off; sorry about the weird title but I really did not know what to put there....

OK, I am in the middle of writing a little script for a friend of mine's site. He owns some sort of RuneScape related site; and I am writing an Items Database for him. This database is a MySQL Table called 'items' before we go any further. This table contains the following Fields:

itemid, itemname, itemtype, streetprice, highalch, lowalch, memberitem, stackable, quest, tradable, stats, reqtowear, usedfor, effects, itemoptions, respawnareas, wherefound, notes, examine, username, imgurl

Please see This page to see the initial Database: http://www.runescapez.com/itemsdb.php

Please see This page to see my attempt to add an URL to the 'itemname' field so that it generates a 'GET' style URL showing 'itemid' after the ?itemid= of that row: http://www.runescapez.com/itemsdbbeta.php

As you can see; it removes some data rows and if you hover your mouse over the hyperlinks, MUCH more appears rather than a simple link like this: http://www.runescapez.com/itempage?itemid=0007, it comes up with the rest of the MySQL Rows IN the link for some reason: http://www.runescapez.com/itempage?itemid=0007 -> NameofItem --> Loads of other stuff....

The Bottom line is; I was up late last night trying to fix this.... All I came up with was an everlasting 'while' loop which made my CPU usage go from 0.3% to 100% in under a minute and the fan was shouting at me.... Lol. Yeah. 3.00GHz couldn't take it.....

What I want to do is to make the FIRST column (that's the Itemname) turn all the data into hyperlinks that look like this:

http://www.runescapez.com/itempage.php?itemid=0042 or something like that so that I can make 'itempage.php' use the Php GET method to show a page FULL of data of just that Item. Keep in mind that ALL of this is dynamic (The database appears with a $row variable that was written in the meat of the code. If you look below; you'll see what I did right and what I did WRONG  ???  :-\

THIS is the code for 'http://www.runescapez.com/itemsdbbeta.php' (Minus the server passwords and names etc.)

<?php

[HIDDEN PASSWORD/DETAILS]
mysql_connect($db_host, $db_user, $db_pwd);
mysql_select_db($db_name);
?>

<html>
<head>
<title>RuneScapez.com :: Items Database</title>

<style>useless in this post</style>

</head>

<body>

//useless in this post

//below grabs all the data from the database in order of item name ascending

<?php
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM items ORDER BY itemname ASC");

echo "<table border='1'>
<tr>
<th>Item Name</th>
<th>Item Type</th>
<th>Street Price</th>
<th>High Alch Reward</th>
<th>General Store Price</th>
<th>Members Item?</th>
<th>Stackable?</th>
<th>Quest?</th>
<th>Tradable?</th>
<th>Examine</th>
</tr>";

//if I'm correct, the below fetches all the 'results' from the database based on $result (set earlier in the code) in rows.

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
  {
  echo "<tr>";
  echo "<td>" . "<a href='www.runescapez.com/itempage.php?itemid=" . $row['itemid'] . ">" . $row['itemname'] . "</a>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['itemtype'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['streetprice'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['highalch'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['lowalch'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['memberitem'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['stackable'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['quest'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['tradable'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['examine'] . "</td>";
  echo "</tr>";
  }
echo "</table>";
?>
  </font></p>
</body>
</html>

This is the line which gets the URL:

echo "<td>" . "<a href='www.runescapez.com/itempage.php?itemid=" . $row['itemid'] . ">" . $row['itemname'] . "</a>";

I can see that the problem is that there are two $row[''] variables in the same row, but how do I fix this? I don't know how to retrieve single pieces of data from MySQL.... Perhaps I need to write a different variable? I did try doing seperate loops but this ended up sending my PC into space with neverending loops of a loop.

Could someone help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Malev.

try this please...

<?php

[HIDDEN PASSWORD/DETAILS]
mysql_connect($db_host, $db_user, $db_pwd);
mysql_select_db($db_name);
?>

<html>
<head>
<title>RuneScapez.com :: Items Database</title>

<style>useless in this post</style>

</head>

<body>

//useless in this post

//below grabs all the data from the database in order of item name ascending

<?php
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM items ORDER BY itemname ASC");

echo "<table border='1'>
<tr>
<th>Item Name</th>
<th>Item Type</th>
<th>Street Price</th>
<th>High Alch Reward</th>
<th>General Store Price</th>
<th>Members Item?</th>
<th>Stackable?</th>
<th>Quest?</th>
<th>Tradable?</th>
<th>Examine</th>
</tr>";

//if I'm correct, the below fetches all the 'results' from the database based on $result (set earlier in the code) in rows.

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
  {
  echo "<tr>";
  echo "<td>";
echo "<a href='itempage.php?itemid=".$row['itemid']."'>".$row['itemname']."</a>";
  echo "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['itemtype'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['streetprice'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['highalch'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['lowalch'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['memberitem'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['stackable'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['quest'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['tradable'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['examine'] . "</td>";
  echo "</tr>";
  }
echo "</table>";
?>
  </font></p>
</body>
</html>

redarrow's snippet will fix your problem. But just a bit of FYI on this so you understand.

1. you can have multiple $row[''] variables in any line if formatted properly

2. in your <a href=  you either have to use just the page name like redarrow shows or the full URL including the http:// part. Since you used just the www.  it automatically places your full url again in front of that which was causing the double address.

Hope this helps for the future :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.