Editing Pages

timmah1

What I mean is, I don't want to hold all of my page content in a database, I have all pages done, but they're in html format. I want to be able to go into an admin side and pull up the html page, edit it, and be able to save it back to the server.

Is there anyway of doing that?

Thank you in advance

I don't really know what to tell you would be the best. I have always hand coded my web pages. I guess if I were you; I would search around and try out some free WYSIWYG editors and see which one I liked best. If you want to buy a premium editor; you might want to think about: Dreamweaver, Front Page, GoLive, or Coffee Cup - I hear great things about all of these.

- Good Luck ;)

ok, maybe the question wasn't that clear.

I have roughly 60 pages, all html, that are already done.

I'm doing a website for someone, the pages are all done, he wants to be able to edit the html files himself. He knows nothing about html, so I was going to make it so that he could just click on the link of a certain page, and edit it online.

Now, I could easily do this by imputing all of the content into a database and extract it that way into the wysiwyg editor (tinymce), edit it, and then save it back to the database. I'm trying to avoid that.

I'd rather have them click on the link, say "home", and then the index.html page shows up in the text area to be able to be editited, then click on "Save", and it would save over the html on the server.

I hope that's more clear

He knows nothing about html

if he knows nothing about html; what's the good of displaying a page's html source  code in a textarea. yeah he could update it; but he has to know what he is looking at to edit source code - that is why I suggested a WYSIWYG editor; because it gives people who do not know coding practices, the opportunity to use a GUI to create/update and save their web pages.

PS: You are not going to be able to do this just with JavaScript alone; you will have to use a Server Side Language to accomplish this. If you want to combine the two; you can use AJAX. But JavaScript alone; will not display a page's source code in a textarea.

I never said anything about any source code being edited.

What do you think tinymce is? It is a GUI to edit text areas, hence me mentioning it in the post.

ok, is there way to pull the html page into tinymce so that he can edit the page without using a database?

I never said anything about any source code being edited.

What do you think tinymce is? It is a GUI to edit text areas, hence me mentioning it in the post.

ok, is there way to pull the html page into tinymce so that he can edit the page without using a database?

as I said I have never used a WYSIWYG editor; so obviously I do not know what the heck a tinymce is; that's for beginners. no you can not add anything other then text to a textarea; I though you already had a common understanding of that (guess I was wrong about that - lol) - that is why I referred to the source code.

You would have to combine javascript and PHP to do this.

look into fopen, fread and the related functions. These will allow you to pull in the file. Then you will have to use javascript for the wysiwyg part... you may be able to incorporate the php code to pull in the file and have it load it in the tinymce wysiwyg.

I've used the tinymce mentioned above. it's a tad resourse intensive, but works great. I THINK they use it in Joomla . Anyhow, I THINK you're going to need to hold the pages in a MySQL db so your client can easily pull pages to edit within the editor, but sounds messy to me. Have you considered looking at a CMS like Joomla or posting this to the PHP forum?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.