if (!$connection) {

die("Connection to Database Failed: " . mysql_error());

}

$db_select = mysql_select_db("widget_corp","$connection");

if (!db_select) {

die("Cannot Select database widget_corp: " . mysql_error());

}

?>

However I kept getting an error that was driving me crazy..... till I figured what the issue was, I was using double quotes around my handle $conncection when in fact, there should not have been any.

My question is, Why? I thought just like in connecting where I needed each argument IP, user, pass to have quotes why should I not use that for my connection.

Thanks for any help or advice on this,

Paul

well certain things  are more than just a number or an integer, its one of the weaknesses to php is that all variables are defnined very similarlly so you can start to get lazy and not realize you are acting on a string when you thought it was an integer and so forth.

Mysql creates resources the only String output from Mysql comes from a mysql_result, mysql_fetch or mysql_insert_id and their derrivatives mysql_query and mysql_connection are both resource generating functions.

"$connection" casts it as a string, instead of an integer value.

So if it's resource #3, the string version has a byte value of 0x33 whereas the integer value is 0x03.

String/int conversion is usually automatic in PHP as it is typeless, but it is significant when dealing with resource handles.

well certain things  are more than just a number or an integer, its one of the weaknesses to php is that all variables are defnined very similarlly so you can start to get lazy and not realize you are acting on a string when you thought it was an integer and so forth.

Mysql creates resources the only String output from Mysql comes from a mysql_result, mysql_fetch or mysql_insert_id and their derrivatives mysql_query and mysql_connection are both resource generating functions.

I hardly think you can call the fact that PHP is a weakly-typed language one of its weaknessess. Its simply part of the language.

mysql_query and mysql_connection are both resource generating functions.

Agreed

... the only String output from Mysql comes from a mysql_result, mysql_fetch or mysql_insert_id and their derrivatives

mysql_result returns whatever the column type is

mysql_fetch_xxx returns and array

mysql_insert_id returns the last generated INT id

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.