[SOLVED] Intermittent problem with inserting data into MySQL table

Agtronic

Hi guys and gals,

I'll start out by stating that I'm a newb with PHP, but can get around okay. Throughout all of my searches for specific problems, I have always seen this forum pop up in search results, and usually, I found a solution by reading old threads. Today however, I don't even know what to search for.

I'm having a problem with a script I'm working on. Basically, it's a registration form for a dating site, and it is devided into 4 steps. All of the steps are held in one php script, and the proper page is displayed at the correct time. In order to "remember" the data from the previous pages, I register all of the form variables as session variables. Once all 4 pages are filled out, the script then inserts all of the data into a mysql table.

The problem I'm having, is that once in a while, someone will create an account, and it will register into the database, but there is only TWO pieces of information that make it in. Everything else is blank. I don't get it. It's as if every session variable was unset before insertion, except for 2. It's really got me stumped. I has happened to a few people, from different computers.

I don't even know where to start looking. :S

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much for your time!

I figured out the problem. One of the many fields was education, and two of the options were "Master's" and "Bachelor's", both of which contain a single quote. The script never crashed for me, because I never selected either of those in testing. Good thing my Girlfriend is good at testing scripts! Hehehe!

A simple addslash() on each of the variables before insertion fixed the problem. I have gotten into the habit of writing code in an magicquotes environment.

So incase anyone is looking at this in the future, always clean/filter your data! :)

Thanks guys!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.