[SOLVED] PHP changing my form input?

djfox

I have this section of a form made:

<b>Gender:</b>
<br><select name="gender" style="border: 0px; background-color:#000000; color: #B6ABCE;">
<option value="b">Both
<option value="f">Female
<option value="m">Male
</select>

Here`s the php section that the results of all of the fields in the form are sent to:

$add="INSERT INTO clothing ( name, desc2, shortname, store, files, layers, gender, posespec, type, cost, spec, date ) VALUES ( '$title', '$des', '$short', '$region', '$filenames', '$lay', '$gender', '$pose', '$type', '$price','$spe', '$entry_date' )";
$res = mysql_query($add) or die(mysql_error());

When the field entry for gender is supposed to be is "b". But when the form is filled out and sent, the gender entry "b" is somehow changed to "B", which causes complications for several other pages. The "gender" field in the database table was set to char type and thinking that was why, I tried changing it to varchar. But the mysql doesn`t want to change it to varchar.

What should I do to keep the letter lowercase?

Try adding another field that has a varchar type.  Then write a quick sql statement that will copy whatever is in the char field to the varchar field.  Then delete the char field, and rename the varchar field to what the name the char field was.

Now I`m worried. I set the new field gend to type varchar and the table immediately changed it to char and won`t let me change that type either.

My mistake, I did not realize that varchar needs a larger number than 2 for it`s lengths.

Ok, I got gender set to varchar (hoping that it would leave the input alone and not capitalize anything). Now the form sends "Both" instead of "b". (First post shows that the value to be sent should be just "b".) Strange I`ve never had such a problem with forms before. =P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.