[SOLVED] Inserting data into database

anon

I have a form which has one field; url. This field should post its variable to a mysql table called addurl.

I already have the whole thing set up. Problem is that when i check what values are in the table they are blank. There is no value.

// prepare form values for insert
$URL = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['url']);

// Make mysql connection below

$sql = "INSERT INTO `addurl` (`u_link`) VALUES ('$URL')";
$res = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
  if(!$res){
  echo "Could not enter data";
  } else {
  echo "data entered into database";
  }
  ?>
</html>

Thanks. This is what I get

Array
(
    [url] => http://www.yahoo.com
    [add] => Submit
)

data entered into database

The thing is that it does show that there's an entry. But when you check the field its just blank.

Since there is a comment in the posted code about making a "mysql connection" after the mysql_real_escape_string() function call, I would guess that the mysql_real_escape_string() function call is failing since it requires a connection to a database server.

Check your web server log for errors.

Also, when learning php, developing php code, or debugging php code, always turn on full php error_reporting and display_errors in your php.ini or a .htaccess file to get php to help you. This will help pinpoint why code does not work due to basic  problems a majority of the time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.