insert data into database

johnhelen

Hello

I need to insert records into a table. A primary key will be generated automatically as it is serial number (postgres database). Then I have to take this key to insert into another table (as they have a relationship).

For example, I have to insert a record into movie table - this table has a primary key that is automatically created.

INSERT INTO movie (title, summary ) VALUES ('the ghost', 'a true story about ghost, 12 minutes');

After inser, I need to have get the movie_id

SELECT currval('movie_id_seq');

Then insert this id into a location_movie table. I have only one location_id, that is 27.

INSERT INTO location (movie_id, location_id) values (13, 27);

The problem here is that I have about 200 records and I have a list of INSERT queries like this

INSERT INTO movie (title, summary ) VALUES ('the ghost', 'a true story about ghost, 122 minutes');

INSERT INTO movie (title, summary ) VALUES ('titanic' 'a true story about titanic, 180 minutes');

INSERT INTO movie (title, summary ) VALUES ('the friend', '112 minutes');

How I create a php script that read each "INSERT" query, get the movie_id and add into location_movie table automatically using php?

Many thanks

shuhu

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.