[SOLVED] Same old syntax error, just need query structure help

br3nn4n

First off, I'm not sure if this should be in the MySQL section or not, but it's a PHP error so here goes.

My query:

<?php
$query = mysql_query (SELECT * FROM $_GET[section] WHERE date_year = $_GET[year], date_mon = $_GET[month]);
?>

And I get the same, tired old:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/thenorth/public_html/test/archives.inc on line 9

The above query is line 9, by the way.

TIA

And it's wide open to sql injections.

In my opinion it should by like this:

<?php
$query = mysql_query ('SELECT * FROM '.$_GET['section'].' WHERE date_year = '.$_GET['year'].' and date_mon = '.$_GET['month']);
?>

Its faster and causes less mistakes.

kopytko: $_GET pulls the data from the url like:

http://foo.bar/page.php?section=member&year=2008&month=january

Now if you were authenticating that way, all I would have to do would be change ?section=member to ?section=admin. I now have access to your admin section.

DO NOT USE GET for sql statments >:[

as stated it easy to get things put in your database throw your url...........

kopytko: $_GET pulls the data from the url like:

http://foo.bar/page.php?section=member&year=2008&month=january

Now if you were authenticating that way, all I would have to do would be change ?section=member to ?section=admin. I now have access to your admin section.

DO NOT USE GET for sql statments >:[

Why not? If you validate all data from user, than you can't be hacked.

Post variables also can be send to script, so if I create script with form or use telnet, I can send post variable named "section" with "admin" value and also get access to admin section.

edit

By the way. Don't use get, post, cookie variables to pass section and always check if user can view current page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.