[SOLVED] Keeping my site off google - yes I know it sounds stupid

PC Nerd

Hi,

Im looking for a way to keep my domain off google's search spiders (and preferably yahoo etc as well).  Its a domain i use for presenting work and running templates trials and development tests - however its unique name causes it to appear in google when similar words are searched

I know that meta tages help to categories my site and get on a spiders list - however I want to reverse that proccess.

Any suggestiosn would be great.

Thanks

Make a robots.txt file and put this in:

User-agent: *

Disallow: /

That's it. Since search spiders HAVE to look at the robot.txt file before looking at the site, it will read that file and you told any spider (denoted by the astericks) to not allow them to view it.

u, - those meta tags - do those need to be on all my pages?

thanks

edit::

do i have to place robots.txt in the foot - or in every directory - and with that can i place different robots.txt fiels in different directories so that it will change per directory??  if a /members/  wont have robot access  thnks

do i have to place robots.txt in the foot - or in every directory - and with that can i place different robots.txt fiels in different directories so that it will change per directory??  if a /members/  wont have robot access  thnks

robots.txt HAS to go in the ROOT directory. Put it somewhere else and it'll fail. :P

So to your second question, no, you can't. But you can allow it robots to certain directories using something like this:

User-agent: *

Disallow: /images/

Disallow: /members/

That would allow robots everywhere EXCEPT in the /images/ and /members/ directory. :) Hope that helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.