Float Feature

SirChick

Hey,

My site has a built in radio stream.... and well there is a problem cos if the users want to listen to it they have to remain on the page to listen.

So what i wanted was a [Float] option so it would make the stream appear in a window on the the site so if the user changes pages the window remains and so music streams perfectly.

Hope this is possible ? If so whats the best way about doing it.

I'm not even going to attempt to solve that one using PHP, however, what if you embed that code in a new file and open it in a pop-up window so the music wont stop unless they close that pop-up window? Just a thought as a possible temporarily solution.

Thats what i currently got. But users keep saying it won't load for them cos of their pop up blockers and what ever else. And so i had like 1000 bug reports to look through lol. So trying to find a different method of floating it on the whole site.

I think it can be done if the site was flash cos the site remains on the same url all the time. But then cos it in flash at the moment, it would not be worth making the whole site made by flash either.

I have seen like menu's floating and moving up and down as the user scrolls down and up etc. But it loads aswell upon the next page load. So that would kick the stream off again.

my suggestion would be to do one of two things.

create a frameset and have your main content in one frame and have you streaming content in another frame. that way when the user goes to another page; the streaming content frame will not be changed; just the main content frame will be changed.

or

load all of your main content into a specific section of your page with JavaScript and/or AJAX (either will do this; just depends on what content your wanting to load - dynamic or static content). this way your page never has to be reloaded and the media stream will not be interrupted.

ps: you also could just keep the pop-up idea and tell users that pop-up blocker must be disabled to view this site or to press the control button on their keyboard, so that pop-up will load (if they have their pop-up blocker turned on/enabled).

Or add the site to allow pop ups.

ps: you also could just keep the pop-up idea and tell users that pop-up blocker must be disabled to view this site or to press the control button on their keyboard, so that pop-up will load (if they have their pop-up blocker turned on/enabled).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.