[SOLVED] chown() problems

Taorluath

I just made a simple program to create files; I'm trying to get the hang of basic file manipulations.

Whatever file my program makes, the owner of the program is "www-data," so I can't edit it using my regular server user. I can use root to change the ownership to the server user, but I don't want to do that for every file.

That's why I tried to use chown() to give ownership to the server as soon as the file is made, but I get this error:

"Warning: chown() [function.chown]: Operation not permitted in /home/server/mysite/make.php on line 17"

This is a snippet of the code I used:

<?php 
$filename = $_POST["name"];
if(touch($filename)){
?>
<h3>File <pre><?php echo $filename; ?></pre> created. <br />Continue to edit?</h3>
<form action="edit.php" method="POST">
<input type='hidden' name='filename' value='<?php echo $filename; ?>' />
<input type='submit' value='Edit' />
</form>
<?php
chown($name, "server");
etc...

Why isn't it permitted? I gave everyone full "rwx" access to the folder "mysite".

You must be root to chown a file.  You can't give ownership away to someone else.

The easiest solution is probably to use permissions to control access.  The web server can put the file in a particular group which you have access to as well, and make the file group readable and writeable.

Wait, duh!

I would use chgrp().  ;D

I made a group called "web" and included "server" and "www-data" as seen in the /etc/group file:

web:x:1002:server,www-data

I changed the line in my PHP script from

chown($name, "server");

into

chgrp($name, "web");

but is still get the same permissions error: "Warning: chgrp() [function.chgrp]: Operation not permitted in /home/server/mysite/edit.php on line 17"

??? ??? ???

I even gave the group "web" full control over the directory my website is in! Why isn't it working?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.