Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rizzah00

newbie help

I have two tables in my database

-owners

-teams

in my owners table i have fields for email user_id name and team_id

in my teams table i have fields for team_name and team_id

I want to do a query that will replace the owners team_id with the teams team_name, i have linked everything correctly, what would the query be? how would i go about displaying this on a page with php?

select o.user_id, t.team_name from owners u, teams t

WHERE o.team_id = t.team_id;

Would join the two tables correctly together. If you have entered an owner which have a nonexisting team_id (i.e. the team_id number does not exist in the teams table) - then this owner will NOT be returned...

If you want them to come back as well you must do a left join:

select o.user_id, t.team_name from owners u LEFT JOIN  teams t ON o.team_id = t.team_id;

Here all owners will be returned having a team_name of NULL if it is not defined in the teams table...

P.

okay i finally got everything set to where i want it i tweaked some code to try to get another cell from the query and i get this error

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/styckx/public_html/maddenworld/owners.php on line 25

Here\'s my code

<?php  

mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "pass");  

mysql_select_db("database");  

$query = "select o.email, t.name, o.aim, t.location, from owners o, teams t WHERE o.team_id = t.team_id"; 

$result = mysql_query($query);  

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)){  

echo "{$row[\'location\']}";

echo "nbsp;";

echo "{$row[\'name\']}";

echo " "; 

echo "{$row[\'email\']}"; 

echo " ";

echo "{$row[\'aim\']}";

echo "<br>";

}  

?> 

any help would be appreciated

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.