[SOLVED] odbc query syntax problem.

deiffert

Hello,

I'm a total rookie at the data query thing.

I'm actually querying a filemaker database via odbc, but I doubt that matters.

Here's the query I have that isn't working:

$retailerquery = "select DISTINCT Retailer from MainTable where \"Product\" = '$ProductId' and

((\"Week of the Year\" = $week01 and \"Year\" = $week01year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week02 and \"Year\" = $week02year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week03 and \"Year\" = $week03year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week04 and \"Year\" = $week04year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week05 and \"Year\" = $week05year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week06 and \"Year\" = $week06year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week07 and \"Year\" = $week07year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week8 and \"Year\" = $week08year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week09 and \"Year\" = $week09year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week10 and \"Year\" = $week10year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week11 and \"Year\" = $week11year) or (\"Week of the Year\" = $week12 and \"Year\" = $week12year))";

Nasty I know. The first part works just fine, and the second part of the query (the really repetitive part) I'm just trying to do this basically:

select Retailer where the 'week of the year' and 'year' equal any of these 12 week/year combinations that I have.

It can match ANY of the 12, that's where all those 'or's come in. I'm sure my syntax is wrong. I'm an old C++ programmer so I always try to do things how I used to do them.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- David

I don't know Filemaker syntax, but the logic looks OK.

I can give a couple of tips for the the next table you design

1 ) Don't have column names with spaces then you don't have to wrap them in "...", [...] or `...` depending on the flavour of your DBMS

2 ) Read up on normalization.

Have you checked for error messages?

Hi,

Thanks so much for the response. I'll definitely do what you said.

The problem is that it's kicking out an error:

Warning: odbc_exec() [function.odbc-exec]: SQL error: [DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver][ODBC Socket][DataDirect][ODBC FileMaker driver][FileMaker]Parse Error in SQL, SQL state S1000 in SQLExecDirect in C:\Documents and Settings\Deiffert\My Documents\Active\Slosh\fmps\chart.php on line 126

Warning: odbc_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid ODBC result resource in C:\Documents and Settings\Deiffert\My Documents\Active\Slosh\fmps\chart.php on line 130

It's outputting:

select DISTINCT Retailer from MainTable where "Product" = 'bbb' and (("Week of the Year" = 47 and "Year" = 2007) or ("Week of the Year" = 48 and "Year" = 2007) or ("Week of the Year" = 49 and "Year" = 2007) or ("Week of the Year" = 50 and "Year" = 2007) or ("Week of the Year" = 51 and "Year" = 2007) or ("Week of the Year" = 52 and "Year" = 2007) or ("Week of the Year" = 1 and "Year" = 2008) or ("Week of the Year" = and "Year" = 2008) or ("Week of the Year" = 3 and "Year" = 2008) or ("Week of the Year" = 4 and "Year" = 2008) or ("Week of the Year" = 5 and "Year" = 2008) or ("Week of the Year" = 6 and "Year" = 2008))

as the contents of that variable.

Thanks again for the help!

I take back what I said about normalizing, I thought you were holding a whole series of weeks and years in a single record.

Also it would simplify to

$q = "select DISTINCT Retailer from MainTable 
        where \"Product\" = 'bbb' 
        and ((\"year\" = '2007' and \"Week of the Year\" between 47 and 52)
        or (\"year\" = '2008' and \"Week of the Year\" between 1 and 6))";

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.