is this possible? checking a DB for dupes as a form is being populated

mysty

I have just discovered Dreamweaver's ability to use Spry, which uses javascript and Ajax, etc.  I need some help with a form that sends data to a MySQL database.  What I want to be able to do is have a validation-type alert if a user enters an email address and there is already that email address in the database.  Is this possible with Ajax?

I don't really know much PHP and zero javascript or ajax.  Is this even possible?

Might there even be a pre-made script I could use?

yes it is very possible.

use the onMouseout="" event from the email input area and use your nifty ajax functions to post this to a php script that will then return nothing if the email adder is unique and an alert of some sorts if the email is being used.

it would be best if you tried to learn this for your self so here is a link to a very helpful tutorial ( more than enough to get you started. )

http://www.tizag.com/ajaxTutorial/ajax-javascript.php

good luck

Jos.

The tutorial did not do exactly what I was wanting.  I was really hoping to find a pre-made script or someone that could show me one that did the validation to the database.  I didn't really want to learn the whole Ajax/JS language to fix this one thing.  Maybe I could get a book after I solve this one small thing.

Hi Myaty,

I guess Jis gave u a very good advic, however as you dont want to learn it, then what you can do is, you can pay for this thing to be done. So if you can pay for this then mail me at     

solvercircle@yahoo.com

By the way if you need I can solve your some other problens regarding coding too.  :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.