[SOLVED] How to grab lastest day from db

bsamson

I have a DB and I am trying to find a way in php/mysql to grab the field w/ the most current date ...

Fields:

idno

date

info

Values:

04/25/07

info goes here

04/26/07

info goes here

In this case I would like to grab the ID # and info from IDNO 3. How would I do this? Thanks!

Perhaps I am a bit confused. I need to find the date closest to todays. How do I select the closest date and also specify the ID# I want ?? Thanks for any help!

If the date in id 3 is 5 days ago, and the date in id 2 is 4 days ago, then the database will return the date 4 days ago in revraz's script. Also, your DATE column needs to be a DATETIME column or a TIMESTAMP for the ORDER BY to work on the query.

What if there are 3 that are the same day, do you also store the time?

i don't know what you mean, or if your talking to me lol.

I think the seconds are never the same in a TIMESTAMP as it constantly changes WHEN the script is running, or the query sorts by the ID if there are 3 of the same dates...

Thanks for the reply, but I was asking how he stores it not how it works.  I am familiar with how timestamps work, but if he just stores mm/dd/yy then it doesn't do any good right?

Trying to understand his setup so we can suggest a better way and give him the results he needs.

yes I am sorry ... I need to select the newest for a particiular ID #.

For example if I want ID #5 ... there are muliples entries for the ID ... So I need to find the newest or latest entry ...

<?php 

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `table `ORDER BY `id` DESC LIMIT 1");

// OR

$query  = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `table` ORDER BY `date`DESC LIMIT 1");

?>

That does the trick, the first one gets the latest ID, and so does the Next Query that follows it.

Thanks! But here's the thing ... What if I want to specify the ID #? How would I narrow the search by the ID # first ... Then by the date? Thanks for your patience!

<?php 

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `id` = '1' ");

// OR

$id = mysql_real_escape_string(strip_tags($_GET['id']));

$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `id` = '$id' ");

?>

He said there are mutiple IDs with the same number.  Nothing said they were unique.

He asked a specific question

How would I narrow the search by the ID # first ... Then by the date?

For example if I want ID #5 ... there are muliples entries for the ID ... So I need to find the newest or latest entry ...

He said there are mutiple IDs with the same number.  Nothing said they were unique.

He asked a specific question

How would I narrow the search by the ID # first ... Then by the date?

Oh i didn't read it properly, but this would mean he has a AUTO INCREMENT field with a second ID field.

LOL DUH ... I'm sorry for the stupid follow up ...

I am obviously still learning PHP & MySQL and the one thing I always find is that I go through and find a very long way to accomplish something that PHP could do in one line of code. HAHA .. Thanks again for everything!

I actually simplified the fields a bit ... that table has 15+ fields. The ID number I was speaking of is not actually an ID number but a store # that's stored in another DB and is stored in a session. I wasn't sure what the MYSQL query would look like is all. Thanks again and have a GREAT weekend!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.