[SOLVED] Delete from two tables - Please Help.

l!m!t

Hello,

I have been trying to figure this out for hours , yet I cant seem to get it to work.

I have two separate tables - ADDRESS and CUSTOMER I want to delete all the ROWS under the table ADDRESS, WHERE CUSTOMER CUSTOMER_ID=1

(CUSTOMER_ID is located in the CUSTOMERS table.) I tried inner Joins, left joins, but cant seem to figure it out.

any help would be great.

I've not figured it out yet but supposedly these forms of joins are the one's to use when deleting, http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/join.html

oh no, I might of done it...

$host = 'localhost';
$user = 'user';
$pass = 'pass';
$db = 'db';

$conn = mysql_connect($host, $user, $pass) or die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db($db, $conn) or die(mysql_error());

/*
$s = "DROP TABLE test_cust";
mysql_query($s, $conn);

$s = "DROP TABLE test_addr";
mysql_query($s, $conn);
*/

$s = "CREATE TABLE test_cust (id int not null primary key auto_increment, name varchar(32), pass varchar(32) )";
if(mysql_query($s, $conn))
{
print "Created table<br>";

$s = "INSERT INTO test_cust VALUES ('', 'me', 'password'), ('', 'you', 'password') ";
$res = mysql_query($s, $conn) or die(mysql_error());
}
else
{
print "Table creation failed<br>";
}

$s = "CREATE TABLE test_addr (id int not null primary key auto_increment, cust_id int not null, street varchar(32), city varchar(32) )";
if(mysql_query($s, $conn))
{
print "Created table<br>";

$s = "INSERT INTO test_addr VALUES ('', 1, 'here', 'there'), ('', 2, 'near', 'far') ";
}
else
{
print "Table creation failed<br>";
}

print "<br>";
print "<br>";

$s = "SELECT * FROM test_cust LEFT JOIN test_addr on test_cust.id = cust_id";
while ($a = mysql_fetch_array($res))
{
print $a['id'].": ".$a['name']." - ".$a['pass']." - ".$a['street']." - ".$a['city']."<br>";
}
print "<br>";

$s = "DELETE FROM test_addr USING test_addr LEFT JOIN test_cust on cust_id = test_cust.id WHERE name = 'me' ";
print "<br>";

$s = "SELECT * FROM test_cust LEFT JOIN test_addr on test_cust.id = cust_id";
while ($a = mysql_fetch_array($res))
{
print $a['id'].": ".$a['name']." - ".$a['pass']." - ".$a['street']." - ".$a['city']."<br>";
}

Found in 'Posted by wendy reetz on January 8 2005 8:06pm' post here...

This query assumes there's a customer_id column in both tables and that's how they're tied together.

DELETE FROM `ADDRESS` a

JOIN `CUSTOMER` c ON c.`CUSTOMER_ID` = a.`CUSTOMER_ID`

WHERE a.`CUSTOMER_ID` = 1

;

Thanks everyone for the help!  I am still a little stuck, the query is  working , but it seems to be doing the opposite of what I need. I am querying it first to see the results and instead of displaying only the "customer_default_id"(s) that are NOT associated with the address_book_id, its displaying  id's that ARE associated.

I tried sticking an !  in front of the = , but doesn't seem to work. Any ideas would be great.

query ("select * FROM `address_book` a
JOIN `customers` c ON c.`customers_default_address_id` WHERE c.`customers_default_address_id`=a.address_book_id
");

Any ideas on how to only display results where the "customers_default_address_id" doesn't match the  "address_book_id"

This "NOT associated" is completely the opposite of what you originally asked for.

One of these will probably be what you want:

# Returns all address book rows where there's no match in customers table

SELECT *

FROM `address_book` a

LEFT JOIN `customers` c ON c.`customers_default_address_id` = a.`address_book_id`

WHERE c.`customers_default_address_id` IS NULL

# Returns all customer rows where there's no match in address book table

SELECT *

FROM `customers` c

LEFT JOIN `address_book` a ON a.`address_book_id` = c.`customers_default_address_id`

WHERE a.`address_book_id` IS NULL

You can use the same for deleting.

Show the two table layouts with some sample data.

I will try to explain I am really new at this so will do my best.

customer_default_address_id and address_book_id are the same IDs only in different tables.

When I run this query

$foo=query ("select * FROM `address_book` a
JOIN `customers` c  WHERE  c.customers_default_address_id = a.address_book_id"); 

while ($a = mysql_fetch_array($foo))
{
echo $a['address_book_id'];
}

I get 26 and 3 which are the ID's of the customers_default_address_id  . The query works and is correct, yet I need it to get the ID's that do not macth the customers_default_address_id

(in this case it would be 27)

I am trying to get all the ids from ADDRESS_BOOK=>"address_book_id" that are not in the CUSTOMERS => customers_default_address_id .

I tried sticking an ! mark in front , but then it displays all ID's (example - c.customers_default_address_id != a.address_book_id  .... displays 3,26,27)

The whole purpose of this is to delete roughly 85,000 address_books entry's unless the address_book_id = the customers_default_address_id..

Any help wold be great .

Thanks again.

This "NOT associated" is completely the opposite of what you originally asked for.

One of these will probably be what you want:

# Returns all address book rows where there's no match in customers table

SELECT *

FROM `address_book` a

LEFT JOIN `customers` c ON c.`customers_default_address_id` = a.`address_book_id`

WHERE c.`customers_default_address_id` IS NULL

# Returns all customer rows where there's no match in address book table

SELECT *

FROM `customers` c

LEFT JOIN `address_book` a ON a.`address_book_id` = c.`customers_default_address_id`

WHERE a.`address_book_id` IS NULL

You can use the same for deleting.

;D  Thank you , Thank you!!!! Works Great. So to delete I just change :select" to delete?

Yes. Replace the "SELECT *" with "DELETE". I would recommend you back up your tables first (just in case).

I just did DELETE a.* and it deletes all address_book entry's where customers_default_address_id is NULL.

Here the DELETE query for anyone else who may have similar troubles.

$query = db ("DELETE a.* FROM `address_book` a LEFT JOIN `customers` c ON c.`customers_default_address_id` = a.`address_book_id` WHERE c.`customers_default_address_id` IS NULL"); 

Thanks again for the help greatly appreciated !!    ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.