[SOLVED] Help with query WHERE?

Thundarfoot

I am trying to output only records that have the entry Bob in the class column of the db table.

in the class column I have various teacher names, to include.

Bob

Bob. Stevens 

The query I am using

$query_Student = "SELECT Name, `Class` FROM skill_cards WHERE skill_cards.`Class` = 'Bob'";

The results I get, leave out any entries from Bob. Stevens

Looking on the net, it seems I need to use a % sign but I cant seem to get it to work.

Thanks in advance for any help

Yes, you need to use wildcards, and for that, you'll need the LIKE comparison:

$query_Student = "SELECT Name, `Class` FROM skill_cards WHERE skill_cards.`Class` LIKE 'Bob%'";

This will return rows where class begins with Bob. If you want to match records where Bob occurs anywhere within the string, place a % character at the start of the string too.

The % wildcard matches any character any number of times. You can also use the _ wildcard, which matches any character, but just once.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.