Upgrading PHP on Windows IIS installation

I have Microsoft Server 2003 with IIS and PHP 5.04. I want to upgrade to the latest version of PHP, 5.25. After copying my php.ini file for safekeeping, I downloaded the installation package. It asked me to choose a server to install, but since I already have IIS installed, I chose none. Then it seemed to run through fine, doing a quick installation.

My phpinfo file, however, still lists 5.04.

I then chose IIS/Fast CGI for the server, but there's still no change.Any idea of what I need to do?

Thanks,

Jeremy

PS. I see on a PHP install page that it says "To upgrade, run the installer either graphically or from the command line as normal. The installer will read your current install options, remove your old installation, and reinstall PHP with the same options as before. It is recommended that you use this method of keeping PHP updated instead of manually replacing the files in the installation directory."

But my old installation is not being removed as far as I can tell, and it's certainly not recognizing it.

Assuming that the .msi installer version of PHP works as advertised (in the few cases I used it and helped others use it, it did not operate as expected) you need to stop and start the IIS windows service in the control panel to get it to reload php. Just stopping and starting the web server in the IIS management console does not reload php.

The IIS settings contain the path to the php files. Since the new version of php is in a different location (did not actually replace the previous php files) you will either need to change the IIS settings to point to the new php files or overwrite the previous files with the the new ones.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.