[SOLVED] Join Statement

dessolator

Hi, I have two tables in my database that I want to get data out of members and courses table but the mysql join statement is confusing me so much. The members table has the pupils faculty id in which links to the courses table, I want to retreive the actual description of the course not the id for each user.

The members table looks like this:

member_id
forename
surname
email
username
faculty_id

The courses table looks like this:

faculty_id
description

The statement i'm using is:

$sql = "SELECT members.member_id, courses.description
  FROM members AS members.member_id INNER JOIN courses.description AS courses ON members.member_id = courses.member_id";

But i'm getting errors near the inner join part and I haven't got a clue why, the tutorials that I followed were quite confusing as there are so many types of join.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi, I tried to edit it to post the following but it wouldn't let me so here it is:

The statement i'm using is:

SELECT members.member_id, courses.description
  FROM members AS members.member_id INNER JOIN courses.description AS courses ON members.member_id = courses.member_id;

Using mysql 5.0

Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '.member_id INNER JOIN courses.description AS courses ON members.member_id = cour' at line 2

Thanks,

Ian

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.