Database stucture help

west4me

I am a total noob when it comes to databases. However I am trying to jump in and get my feet wet.

I am a teacher and I am trying to make a way for me to easily store math grades. I am trying to get started but I just can't get my head around how to structure the database. Here is what I will need...

1. Student first and last name

2. Unit Number

3. Lesson Number

4. problem number (not number of problems)

5. grade for problem

I just can't seem to grasp how the database should look, to be able to add students and then be able to give that student a particular grade for a certain problem, in a certain lesson, in a certain unit.

Please any help would be appreciated.

you use a relational databse, first you identify all entities in ur problem eg, student, grade, task, then u make them into tables, then you creaste the feilds for these tables making use the names ar enamed  properly, then you can:

create a student,

create a problem and

give him a grade

in each table the id's of each record will cross reference tables like student.student_id will go into grade.student_id, and problem.problem_id will go into grades.problem_id

you can design it in ahort form like this

PK=primary key FK = foreighn key

student_table {PK student_id, student_fname, student_lname}

problems_table {PK problem_id, problem_name}

grades_table {PK grade_id, FK student_id, FK problem_id}

id's are always auto incremented numbers, they are used to reference the record

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.