SQL query

Kingy

I am trying to make a statistic on my irc for the person that shouts the most (ie. the user that users the most uppercase letters). What i am trying to do is select info from the mysql database with two coloums (letters, shout). Letters represents the amount of letters the user has typed, shout represents the amount of uppercase letters the user typed.

Simple enough to make a percentage of this and display it, but im confused

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM stats ORDER BY letters, shout DESC LIMIT 1");
while($row = mysql_fetch_array( $result )) {
  $letters = $row['letters'];
  $shout = $row['shout'];
  $user = $row['user'];
  $percent = (($letters/$shout)*100);
  $percent = round($percent ,2);
  fputs($conn,"PRIVMSG $room The top shouter on the network is $user with a shout percentage of $percent% \r\n");
       }       

this doesn't return the right amount. Any ideas? If any help could be given to the next bit as well, i will eventually add to this to maybe show the 2nd user on  this list or even the user with the lowest percentage? thanks

I mean it doesn't show the person with the highest percent

heres apart of the table

id user letters shout

1 user1  1000  100

2 user2  500    300

so with the sql query i would want it to show that user2 has the highest percentage of shouting

but with that query above it doesn't display the right user. What im asking is, does that query look right or not?

ok there is a problem now, this script doesn't show the user with the top percentage, it shows the user with the top shout characters, so the script is working fine, but displaying the wrong user because it show the user with top Shout not top percentage

Ok that there works perfectly now, thanks for that one..

My next question for this query is how do i display 2 people but with different wording,

eg: in the while look ive put

while (...) {

echo "The top shouter on the network is $user with $percent%";

}

But if i put in the sql query LIMIT 2, im going to get the that echo two times.

What i would like to do is echo something like this...

The top shouter on the network is $user with $percent%

Another person that shouts is $user2 with $percent2%

or something along those lines??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.