[SOLVED] Random Error

Kingy

I havn't noticed this error before but when i ran the script through cmd prompt i keep receiving this...

PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  3 in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\bot.php on line 113

LINE 113:  $cmd = str_replace(array(chr(10), chr(13)), '', $ex[3]);

The variable $ex is probably an array. So, the error is stating that there is no array index 3 value.

If that variable is being used to hold command line arguments, then maybe you're not invoking the script with the right number of arguments.

Also, the $ex[3] syntax is used with strings to get the fourth character in the string.

It's always best to use isset() to make sure an array index value is there before trying to use it.

Example:

$value = isset($ex[3]) ? $ex[3] : '';  // default to whatever value - in this case I use an empty string ('')

// Then use $value

Another example:

if (isset($ex[3])) {

$cmd = str_replace(array(chr(10), chr(13)), '', $ex[3]);

}

because i have another question..

I was just trying to work it out before i posted it

$first = str_replace(":", '', $ex[3]);

$string = "$first"." $ex[4]"." $ex[5]";

i have that there, and im getting the same error, i no how to fix it but unsure of exactly the right code

if(isset($ex[5])) {
$string = "$first"." $ex[4]"." $ex[5]";
}
elseif(!isset($ex[5])) {
$string = "$first"." $ex[4]";
}
elseif(!isset($ex[4])) {
$string = "$first";
}

that didn't seem to work? i still get PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  4 in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\bot.php on line 82

but not undefined offser: 5 anymore, so one of them must be working but no the one with $ex[4]

its not an error.

its just telling you that you hadn't previously assigned that index.

If it gives you the expected results, ignore it or turn off notices.

Yes it's not an error but a notice, however, it's an indication of poor coding practices or bad logic. IMO, these should never be just ignored. The code/logic should be changed to handle not having an index defined properly.

Kingy, just do it the way I showed. Here's an example:

<?php

$first  = isset($ex[3]) ? str_replace(":", '', $ex[3]) : '';
$second = isset($ex[4]) ? $ex[4] : '';
$third  = isset($ex[5]) ? $ex[5] : '';

$string = $first . ' ' . $second . ' ' . $third;  // I assume you still want the spaces in between
?>

You still need to check your logic of why the indexes are empty (not defined). If you know why, that's fine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.