Help - MySQL won't load

Hi,

I am struggling with getting MySQL to work, even after re-installing multiple times and following more set-up guides than I new existed.

I have set up Appache 2.2.8 ok - this wokrs ok, and I can view php/html files

I have set up php ok, and the typical phpinfo(); works ok.

I have installed MySQL and this works ok, at the command line.

However, I have now installed phpMyAdmin and on the phpMyAdmin/index.php page, all I can get is the

phpMyAdmin - Error

Cannot load mysql extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation

When I view phpinfo (); there is no mysql string on the page whatsoever.

extension_dir is equal to C:/Program Files/PHP/ext

and yes, php_mysql.dll is located in that directory. Finally, I have uncommented out the line in the php.ini file so that the php_mysql.dll extension should be loaded.

any ideas? I am at my wit's end......................

thanks in advance..........

StevenJ

Add C:/Program Files/PHP to the Windows Path

The mysql extension (php_mysql.dll) requires an external library (libmysql.dll) in order to function properly. libmysql.dll is located in the root of PHP's installation folder. By default PHP cannot read its own directory structure, adding PHP to the Path will allow PHP to do this.

Note: Make sure you do restart Windows when you add PHP to the PATH. If PHP is still not loading the mysql extension make sure PHP is is reading the php.ini you are modifying by running phpinfo(); function within a script and looking at the line that starts with Loaded Configuration File

Also if you have used the Installer to install PHP, please go to php.net and download the zipped binary package and extract the contents of the zip to your PHP installation directory, making sure you overwrite existing files/folders. The Installer comes with limited files

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.