help with includeing a file

DataSpy

I know including a file isn't very hard but for some reason it's not working. 

include ("../admin/config.php");

I KNOW that's where the file is but I get the error

Warning: include(../admin/config.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\www\trade\includes\search.php on line 3

and

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '../admin/config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\pear\') in C:\xampp\htdocs\www\trade\includes\search.php on line 3

The same file includes in other pages just fine but I don't go more than one folder deep and I was thinking that might be the problem.

Example of another page I include the same file in

include ("admin/config.php");

This works perfectly  ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Warning: include(../admin/config.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\www\trade\includes\search.php on line 3

and

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '../admin/config.php' for inclusion (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\pear\') in C:\xampp\htdocs\www\trade\includes\search.php on line 3

The same file includes in other pages just fine but I don't go more than one folder deep and I was thinking that might be the problem.

Actually what could help you is:

include(../admin/config.php); ---- loose the ../ and put
include ("admin/config.php"); - this sould be fine

When you are using ../ you are going one dir back. And if you are in current dir and want to access admin/config.php, then you do as above.

and

Actually what could help you is:

include(../admin/config.php); ---- loose the ../ and put
include ("admin/config.php"); - this sould be fine

When you are using ../ you are going one dir back. And if you are in current dir and want to access admin/config.php, then you do as above.

Thanks!

I was trying to go up one folder that's why I added the ../ , I guess I didn't need to do that.

I struggled with this for a LONG TIME before I realized calling includes like this works no matter where your at in the file structure..

include($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/path/to/the/file.php');

This will start at the servers doc root and find the file that way. It works for me every time without problem.

Hope this helps,

Nate

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.