Loading RSS feeds with AJAX

davidp

I am developing a mapping tool where the user is able to click on a country, and when the user does so, I will dynamically bring up an RSS feed associated with that country. 

Well, the problem is simple: AJAX doesn't allow cross-server requests.

Solution 1:  I could write a PHP script on my own server.  The PHP script would have to accept a GET or POST variable containing the URL of the RSS feed that I want to load.  I can then use the sockets API to open up a socket in my PHP script, make the request, wait for a response, and then send the response back from my PHP script to the client.  That is a round-about way of doing things, but it will work.

The thing is...I don't want to have to do that.  That just doesn't seem like the most elegant way of doing things. 

How would any other web page dynamically load RSS feeds contained on any arbitrary server?  Anyone have any ideas?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.