mail($row['email'], 'hello', $content); //mail to the first user
   }
?>

You could try something like

error_reporting(E_ALL);
//database 
$sql = "SELECT * FROM generalContact";
$result = mysql_query("$sql");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
$email = $row['email'];
$subject = $row['subject'];
$name = $row['firstName'];
}

while(!empty($email)
{
//Mail
$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";
$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";
$headers .= 'To: '.$name.' <'.$email.'>,' . "\r\n"; //This is the TO name and Email
$headers .= 'From:your email address' . "\r\n"; // This is YOUR name and email

$result = mail($email, $subject, $message, $headers);
}
if($result)
{
echo "Mail has been sent";
}
else
{
echo "Mail Failed";
}

Sending a large number of e-mails with the php mail() function is grossly ineffecient, it's a) slow, and b) a resource hog, not to mention you'll probably run into your script's reaching their memory limit or max execution time.

You should look into Pear Mail....

In 99% of most common cases, you won't be able to send mail with the php mail() function on a windows box... Not unless you configured the mail settings properly in the php.ini file and installed some type of mail server on the box.

Sending a large number of e-mails with the php mail() function is grossly ineffecient, it's a) slow, and b) a resource hog, not to mention you'll probably run into your script's reaching their memory limit or max execution time.

You should look into Pear Mail....

would you have any good tutorials which explains PEAR mail?

Its not just windowsboxes you might run into problems sending the mail. Most, ( ~all here in finland) ISP:s block the gate 25 which is used for SMTP protocol for sending mail. But the ISP:s often provide an smtp relay host that you can send your emails through. You just need to find out the hosts address and configure your mailserver to go through that. For example, I had quite an hassle with my ubuntubox with sendmail...

I've just built my first real site. I finally decided on a hosting service in part because I found they provided a couple of tools to accomplish just this. My ISP doesn't provide anything but a connection and a small amount of space for my personal pages. If your hosting provider offers something like "Fantastico" you should be able to find a mass emailer. Look for "PHPlist" or something like the Perl mailer that has already been mentioned.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.