Searching in data base

yanivkalfa

Anywyas . i am trying to search from my data base something that the user sent with form its simple search

though its nothing preset i mean i need to search from a table and i dont want  to search the exact word.

for EG the dude typed in

metalica ban and in my database is shows as metalica

i want a quary that will search for the most close resualt that it can

i can use

$query  = "SELECT * FROM files LIMIT $limitvalue, $limit WHERE name = '$_POST[search]'";

i mean this is do able but if the dude have written metalica ban and in my intery i have metalica only will it still choose metalica ?

well if it wont will someone please show me a better way of doing so .  would realy help me . thanks in advanced

BTW i have no idea why it brought up this poll.

Even with the above, if a user were to enter 'metalica ban' the query would not find rows matching 'metalica'. One way around this is to explode the search term by the space, and search the database to see if any of the words match.

However, that would then lead you into issues of relevant results. You may wish to look into full text searching.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.