XAMPP with 2x MySQL installs

Hi,

Im currently running XAMPP on my computer and accessing it through localhost.  Im looking for a way to run teh MySQLv5 im currenty using - and being able to turn it off and use the MySQLv4 that I want.  Im wondering if someoen could help me in the way of a tutorial - to install the v4 MySQL and then make it run with my current PHP/Apache instalation.  It would be great if teh v4 could use  the same databases but tis not esential.

Thansk in advance  ;D

A Mysql server is just a service that you install. It then "listens" to a specific TCP/IP port (default 3306), in the same way that a web server "listens" to a specific TCP/IP port (default 80). A client, such as PHP, simply send commands to it using its host:port, the same way that a browser sends requests to a web server.

I don't bother with packages like XAMPP, because they hide what is really going on so you are kind of lost when you need to do anything beyond plug it in and turn it on, so I cannot give you any specific instructions for finding things in XAMPP, but a standard install of mysql on Windows includes a system tray monitor (can be found and started under the mysql menu on the start/programs menu.) The system tray monitor allows stopping and starting any "instance" of the mysql servers installed on your system.

If you want to use only one mysql server at a time, all using the same port number, by stopping one and starting the other, you will need to stop the existing mysql server before installing the next one.

Download the "Windows Essentials" .msi installer version and double-click on it to install - http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.1.html Simply follow the on screen prompts.

To use the same data on both mysql servers, you would need to export/backup the data from one, switch which mysql server is running, then import/restore the data to the other.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.