[SOLVED] Safari can't read , Firefox OK

iwannabeleet

I have an index.php page which sets a cookie:

<?php
setcookie('showpopup',1);
?>

and has a brief flash animation which later automatically sends the user to the main page (index2.php), where the cookie is checked:

if(isset($_COOKIE['showpopup']))
{ //dostuff}

So now I'm really confused because in Firefox & IE (i think) the code works in great, but in Safari, the ISSET is returning false. But here's the crazy thing, I check Safari's Cookies window and it shows the cookie right there, with a value of 1  ???. So it's set in the browser, but somehow the ISSET is returning false in Safari.

Anyone have any clue what could be causing this??

well m aybe safari stores the cookies but theres a problem with teh domain to which they are saved?? im not to good with cookie domains -0 the another thig could be that safari proccesses them differently and therefore th page is setting the cookie and then readig form teh cookie before its been written?

either way , gdlk

I'm wondering if part of this has to do with the situation of whether or not the URL has 'www' in front of it. It seems that the $_COOKIE isn't read if it was set by 'http://example.com/index.php' and then tries to get read by 'http://www.example.com/otherpage.php'

I'm probably venturing out of PHP territory and now into more webserver territory but does anyone know if that might be the cause, and if so how I can remedy this?

thank you in advance

well m aybe safari stores the cookies but theres a problem with teh domain to which they are saved??

oops I just posted about that, yeah I think you're exactly right, although now I'm trying to figure out the best way to solve this problem. I have no way of knowing if a user will actually visit the domain from 'www.example.com' or just type in 'example.com' and my initial re-direct has to be hardcoded to one of those, so either way sometimes it will be wrong. I hope i'm making sense....

Sorry for posting so much without googling first, the problem was easily solved with that domain parameter of setcookie:

bool setcookie  ( string $name  [, string $value  [, int $expire  [, string $path  [, string $domain  [, bool $secure  [, bool $httponly  ]]]]]] )

domain

The domain that the cookie is available. To make the cookie available on all subdomains of example.com then you'd set it to '.example.com'. The . is not required but makes it compatible with more browsers. Setting it to www.example.com will make the cookie only available in the www subdomain. Refer to tail matching in the » spec for details.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.