MySQL query row count

adam525

I have a problem getting the number of rows from a mysql query.  I'm working with code that was written by someone else and there are multiple queries inside a while loop.  Here is the code...

__SNIP__

if ($x == TRANSSOL){

$closefile = TRUE;

$data = fgetcsv($myFile, 2048, $delimiter);

$codate = convert_date($data[$fieldArray[1][1]]);

$udprofit1="SELECT TRANSSOL.mid, TRANSSOL.period, SUM(profit) AS tsprofit, SUM(comm) AS tscomm FROM TRANSSOL WHERE TRANSSOL.period = '{$codate}' GROUP BY TRANSSOL.mid";

$sql="SELECT PROFIT.ReportDate, PROFIT.mid FROM PROFIT, TRANSSOL WHERE PROFIT.ReportDate = '{$codate}' AND PROFIT.mid = TRANSSOL.mid GROUP BY PROFIT.mid";

$sqlpft = mysql_query($sql);

$sqldte = mysql_fetch_array($sqlpft);

$sqltsdte = $sqldte[0];

$sqltsmid = $sqldte[1];

$udprofit2 = mysql_query($udprofit1);

while ($udrow = mysql_fetch_array($udprofit2)){

$tsmid = $udrow[0];

$tsdte = $udrow[1];

$profit = $udrow['ccprofit'];

$comm = $udrow['cccomm'];

//$udprofit = mysql_query("INSERT INTO PROFIT (mid,ImportDate,ReportDate) VALUES ('{$tsmid}','{$now}','{$codate}')");

mysql_query("INSERT INTO PROFIT (mid, ReportDate) SELECT '{$tsmid}', '{$tsdte}' FROM dual

WHERE not exists (select * from PROFIT where PROFIT.mid = '{$tsmid}' and PROFIT.ReportDate = '{$tsdte}')");

$gresult = mysql_query("UPDATE PROFIT SET PROFIT.ccprofit = '{$profit}' WHERE PROFIT.mid = '{$tsmid}' AND PROFIT.ReportDate = '{$tsdte}' ");

$gresult1 = mysql_query("UPDATE PROFIT SET PROFIT.cccomm = '{$comm}' WHERE PROFIT.mid = '{$tsmid}' AND PROFIT.ReportDate = '{$tsdte}'");

//ADAM

//$updatetstype = mysql_query("UPDATE PROFIT SET PROFIT.type = 'CC' WHERE PROFIT.mid = '{$tsmid}' AND PROFIT.ReportDate = '{$tsdte}'");

$updatetstype = mysql_query("UPDATE PROFIT SET PROFIT.type = 'TS' WHERE PROFIT.mid = '{$tsmid}' AND PROFIT.ReportDate = '{$tsdte}'");

}

//mysql_query("DELETE FROM PROFIT WHERE mid = '{$sqltsmid}' AND ReportDate = '{$codate}' LIMIT 1");

$tsresultprofit = mysql_query("UPDATE PROFIT,MERCHANT SET PROFIT.mname = MERCHANT.mname WHERE PROFIT.mid = MERCHANT.mid AND PROFIT.ReportDate = '{$codate}'");

}

__SNIP__

I want to return the number of records updated from this query...

$updatetstype = mysql_query("UPDATE PROFIT SET PROFIT.type = 'TS' WHERE PROFIT.mid = '{$tsmid}' AND PROFIT.ReportDate = '{$tsdte}'");

and I've tried every way that I can imagine.

If I use mysql_affected_rows under that query, like so...

$tempval = mysql_affected_rows();

I get that it's not a valid mysql resource 20 times (which is the number of rows that I'm looking for).

I've also tried counting the number of elements in the array and I get 20 1's returned. 

What would be the best way to get the number of records from that query?

TIA,

Adam

To the little guy:

This is an update statement though and mysql_affected_rows is not working. 

If I use this code :

$tempval = mysql_affected_rows($updatetstype);

echo $tempval;

I get :

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /var/www/csv_importer.php on line 2254

20 times.  I get that 20 times (I know) because I have the echo inside the while loop, but I still dont know why mysql_affected_rows isn't working.

I would even settle for being able to count the number of elements in the returned array and that's not working.

revraz:

Here's the output I get using

printf("Records Updated: %d\n", mysql_affected_rows());

echo $updatetstype;

Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1Records Updated: 1 1

I would then need to pass the mysql_affected_rows function the resource id like...

$tempval = mysql_affected_rows($updatetstype);

} //(end of loop)

echo $tempval

I then get..

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /var/www/csv_importer.php on line 2254

It looks like it's out of scope after the loop.  If I do this (just to see if there's still anything there)...

$updatetstype = mysql_query("UPDATE PROFIT SET PROFIT.type = 'TS' WHERE PROFIT.mid = '{$tsmid}' AND PROFIT.ReportDate = '{$tsdte}',$dbcon");

$tsupdate = mysql_affected_rows();

}

echo $tsupdate;

I get:

Because you reset $countit to 0 each time the loop passes.  Set it once prior to the loop.

Also, you dont want to use $countit++ because that just increments that the loop went through, not if it was actually updated.  You want to capture the printf output, not increment it with ++.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.