PHP Questions.

TehDerek

Hello.

I am looking for some guidance on these topics.

One, I would like to learn PHP and MySQL to make a Forum, from scratch. What do you think?

And second, I would also like to learn PHP to make a script, I need a script that can cap the size of a file on a file up loader I will be making. I need to make it to where the user can only upload a file a certain size.

Thanks.

those are good goals, but like most you want to get into the goodies of php like logins and file uploading before learning the basics, thats why alot of people want to learn this language, i would recommend getting a book and a web host and start learning.

Start with the basics, work on form validating, and database manipluating first before you try to build a forum, forums arent easy because there is alot of inner working to a forum.

hello derek,

Its always good to learn the things i think on freak only you will get a lot of helping article what you what you just need to search them in article section or so.

while reading if you get stuck in somewhere do post your queries here

Regards

Hey.

Thanks for the responses and information.

I currently host two web sites with GoDaddy. One is a LAN gaming site, and the other is a Forum just like this one, with SMF, but a different genre.

Where are some easy/beginner PHP tutorials? W3schools seemed confusing.

Thanks.

Try starting off with the PHP Freaks Tutorial archive.  There's a wealth of information there for a new PHP programmer, so I'm sure you will find it very helpful.  It's accessible from the main page, or just click on the link:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials.php

If you are serious about PHP, I'd recommend buying a good book or two.  Amazon.com offers a wide selection of good books.  It's good to have high ambitions with PHP, but you should be aware that if you are completely new to the language (or programming in general), then it will probably take a decent amount of time, effort, and frustration before you'll be ready to tackle a full-scale project like a forum system.

Best of luck,

Theo

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.