php LDAP/Active Directory integration

arianhojat

Before when php was on a IIS box at work,

I just authenticated a person by looking at $_SERVER['AUTH_USER'] (which is magically provided by this Windows box to php even though its not the server doing authentication on our network),

then getting their info from that like domain/username (cut out the username with substring),

then looking in our mysql windowslogon JOIN userinfo table to find that username and some extra info associated them to store in session so pages on the intranet can access some useful data about the user.

But we want to move to a Linux box for our web server...

Someone recommended to me Active Directory for authentication...

i see that you should setup a user in A.D. for php web scripts to connect and get info. so pretend i did that.

but how you can query the database to ask what the current user is? seem like you can only get information by supplying parameters in with php LDAP functions but i dont know if u can ask what current signed in user is.

i saw some other options to possibly use NTLM authentication on linux with an apache module called mod_auth_ntlm_winbind. i dunno what is better way to do authenication (without user ever needing to sign into anything)?

Any suggestions? if suggest LDAP/Active Directory, can help with simple example how to get signed in user username?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.