reading large txt files

clown[NOR]

i'm working on a project for a gameing server. they have all kills stored in a txt file. my project is to sort by the highest kills and down the last hour. i've tried using file() but reading every line into an array every time takes way to long. is there another way to read this file faster?

Thanks In Advance

- Clown

file(), file_get_contents() and so on...are a functions family that read the entire file into memory

and you should not use them on large files.

use instead fopen() and iterate on the data in a relatively small chunks.

$fp = fopen($file,"r");

$conetents = fread($fp,sile_size($file));

On my server that will read a 5mb file in seconds.

this is the same as using file_get_contents()

<?php
$conetents = file_get_contents($file);
?>

but if you have a memory problem (or performance) you should not load all this data into the memory.

link=topic=179218.msg798214#msg798214 date=1201446095]

well this file is on a remote server, and it contains everything from 100 to over 100,000 lines =) so fopen() is the one i should use?

i'm not sure...because in this case if you use http protocol, there is no benefits for the fopen().....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.