Firefox returns html code

fikkaud

Sorry, my 4yrs helper hit the post button prematurely. Here is my entire post.

Hi,

This is my first post and inspite of several searches for the topic, it has left my problem unsolved.

Problem: Firefox occationally returns html code like this starting the header with "0"

A reload of the pages displays correctly. I've only seen this problems in FF 1.5 and FF2

example

-------------------------------------------------------

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:10:52 GMT

Server: Apache/2.0.44 (Win32) mod_perl/1.99_08 Perl/v5.8.6

X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.4

P3P: CP="CAO DSP COR CURa ADMa DEVa OUR IND PHY ONL UNI COM NAV INT DEM PRE"

Set-Cookie: coppermine_data=*************8 16:10:53 GMT; path=/

Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=70

Connection: Keep-Alive

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

e15

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html dir="ltr">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" />

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The mime type is set: HTML/Text html htm php

Any suggestions??

Audun

You mean FF interprets the data returned from the server literally and fails to render the HTML code as a page??

and 2nd load then results in the page being rendered correctly??

If you suspect this is an apache bug you could try using another browser for comparison to check the server is returning consistent content. If the server is behaving consistently then this may be a FF bug which perhaps you could "tweak" in apache by varying the content response as per examples in the default httpd conf file.

I tend to use a really simple browser in such cases e.g. OffByOne or just telnet to the box and see what it is doing in-the-raw.

IE6 IE7 Opera and Mozilla works fine. I've never seen problems with those.

FF occasionally shows text as I've pasted above. If I refresh the page displays correct. I suspect It's because of the "0" in the first line that makes FF return the code as text.

I'm not sure if it's a php or apache problem. I don't think it's a FF problem, but it's interpreting very literally and not as forgiving as the other browsers, hence making the problem visible.

My logs doesn't show anything.

I'm puzzled.

Audun

So values are interspersed into the bitstream being returned from the server?

If so it would be an apache bug (doubtful unless you have browser type ID flagging)

If not then a firefox bug where it was the culprit in polluting the bitstream

It may even be some intermediary such as a proxy webfilter or firewall introducing random data or it might be some error in socket handling perhaps?

The first task I'd say is to pin down exactly where the "corruption" (if it is that) is happening

I'd not suspect Apache myself (personally) esp since other browsers are OK - I'd be reluctant if, it were me, to assume that the bitstream is "polluted" in all cases but FF is somehow less "forgiving"

Perhaps see if you can find out what headers are being sent and mimic using telnet perhaps and see if you get the same bit pattern back? Have you checked/Googled the FF dev forums?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.