Trying to get a script to detect certain words.

cuboidgraphix

Hello guys,

I assume my problem is pretty simply for you guys, so I'm here after much battling trying to create my own.

I'm developing a php page where I can run MySQL queries on my database from my site through a textarea box. I want to restrict the queries to perform only Select queries, therefore I need a script that will detect words in my query such as Delete, Update and Insert. If any of these words are detected in the query, it will not perform it.  I have the  page working fine right now. It retrieves from my database. I just need a script to restrict it. 

Thanks.

Something along the lines of:

$words = Array('UPDATE', 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'TRUNCATE', 'CONCAT');//add your words to the list..

foreach($words AS $word) {

if (stristr($in, $word)) {

die('Sorry, the words you inputted have been detected as a potential threat the the database and have therefore been disallowed. Sorry for any inconvenience');

} else {
	die('Thank you, your input was clean');
}

Sam

Something along the lines of:

$words = Array('UPDATE', 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'TRUNCATE', 'CONCAT');//add your words to the list..

if (stristr($in, $word)) {

die('Sorry, the words you inputted have been detected as a potential threat the the database and have therefore been disallowed. Sorry for any inconvenience');

} else {
}

Sam

Hi Helraizer,

I tried your script and it doesn't quite work. It works for the first word 'Update' but when using 'Delete' or another word.. it says thankyou, your input was clean.

I have not yet made it work with my database.  this is my script so far.. maybe you can refine it for me.

<form name="form" method="get" action="<?=$PHP_SELF?>">

Open query: <br  />

<textarea name="query" rows="10" cols="60"></textarea>

<br />

<input type="submit" name="search" value="Search" />

<input type="reset" value="Clear">

</form>

<!-- Form Script Start -->              
<?php	
$query = @$_GET['query'];					// define find input variable
$trim = trim($query); 					// define trim whitespace from find variable

if($trim == "")
{
echo "<p>Please enter your query before submitting!</p>";
}

elseif($query == " ")
{
echo "<p>Please enter a query ...</p>";
}			

else
{
foreach($words AS $word) 
{
if (stristr($query, $word)) 
{
die('Sorry, the query you submitted has been detected as a potential threat to the database and has therefore been disallowed.');
} 
else 
{
        // This is where I will connect to my database and run my query and have my output in the same page.
}													
}		
}	
?>

Hmm.. Ok, sorry about that, that last bit of code didn't work so this one will.

<?php
<?php

/**
* @author Samuel Boulton
* @copyright 2008
*/

if(isset($_POST['submit']))
{

}

$in = $_POST['te'];

$words = Array('UPDATE', 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'TRUNCATE', 'CONCAT');

$in = preg_replace("/$word/i","", $in);
}

?>

that now means that when the word like delete, DELETE, DeLEtE (any case) appears, it will be replaced with a nothing so wil be left out of the message completely.

So DELETE * FROM  will just be * FROM

Sam

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.